julieclarkjones

julieclarkjones

SPOILER ALERT!

Meh...

Hidden Huntress: Malediction Trilogy Book Two - Danielle L. Jensen

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 Stars. I knew it. By the time Hidden Huntress came out (which BTW who ever did the cover needs to be fired or taken back to cover design school) I had already forgotten most of the characters from book 1. So when the minor characters suddenly popped in, for the most part I had no clue who they were. And when they died, I just felt nothing.

But that wasn't the worst of my problems. There was a lot of wasted time in this book. The author definitely loves to set the scene and goes in detail on her surroundings. At one point, I just gave up on the background descriptions and skipped through them. This book just took FOREVER to get through, despite my skim reading.

Then, the main characters take FOREVER to finally get it on, and just when I'm about to get into it, I get a record scratch moment in finding out the main male character, Tristan, is 17??!!! Ewwww! Then just as I'm trying to convince myself that he's a troll and maybe he ages differently from humans, the sex scene (at least I think that's what it was) is glazed over 1960s style.

Huh?? Umm, hello, I've read several YA books and they at least left no doubt what happened without going into details. In this one I'm just left all sorts of confused. And the characters just go on business as usual in the next scene. At least a scene where they look into each other's eyes acknowledging it was their first time. Something - anything to make me emotionally vested in their supposed love for each other. And a couple's first time should be monumental - at least to me.

Ugh! What a waste. Just not what I expected at all. Just a lot of character deaths and intrigue and not too much romance.

Hidden Huntress features: